FMLA: Your Rights

Denied Your FMLA Leave, or Lost Your Job for Taking Leave?

People who work full-time for an employer with at least 50 employees — and meet certain other criteria — are generally covered by the federal Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). If you have been denied these rights or took your leave but then lost your job, legal action against your employer may be necessary. Please contact our Pinckney, Michigan, law office to learn more about what can be done.

The FMLA provides many workers up to a 12-week unpaid leave for certain important purposes such as:

  • Your own inability to work because of a serious medical condition.
  • Your need to care for a spouse, child, or parent with a serious medical condition.
  • Birth and care of your child.
  • Adoption of a child into your family.

Proven Lawyers for Workers' Rights and Retaliation Cases

Although many people take advantage of these benefits without negative consequences, some run into problems with an employer who, for example:

  • Refuses to grant a qualified employee the FMLA leave he or she is entitled to, often citing a business need or some technicality.
  • Fires a person during his or her FMLA leave, or does not allow the employee to return to work in a comparable position when the leave is over.

Our attorneys — James K. Fett, Larry A. Fields and Robin E. Harrington — understand your FMLA rights and are prepared to look into the details of your situation involving denial of those rights or employer retaliation against you. We are proven advocates for people across the spectrum of occupations in Michigan, and we are determined to recover maximum compensation when our clients' rights have been violated.

Call 734-954-0100 to Tell Your Story and Gain Legal Insight

Some FMLA rights cases are relatively straightforward and others involve more complex issues. We have extensive experience resolving employment disputes through arbitration and other forms of alternative dispute resolution, and we have also taken many serious matters all the way through trial. To discuss your legal options, please call or contact us online today.

For More Information

Fill out our online form